How is the newsletter subscription of my customers managed?
In the "Users list synching" tab of the module "Users list sync & newsletter forms" section, you will be able to synchronize all the e-mail addresses of your users in your MailChimp list, whether or not they have already created a customer account. Indeed, they may have only subscribed to your newsletter without having created a customer account yet.
The list you have chosen in the "Users list choice" tab may already contain e-mail addresses (see our FAQ on choosing a user list).
For users whose e-mail address already exists in your MailChimp list:
If the e-mail address already exists in the list when exporting, MailChimp will detect it and will not create a duplicate. But, the fact that the contact already exists in the list, before any synchronization, will have an influence on his status as a subscriber or not to your newsletter.
Indeed, during this synchronization, MailChimp will assign to each contact a "email marketing" status that corresponds to the user's subscription to your newsletter:
If the user already exists in the MailChimp list and has the status of "unsubscribed" from your newsletter, then this status can in no case be modified and it will remain "unsubscribed", even if, in your PrestaShop it appears as a subscriber. If he has a "subscribed" status and that in your PrestaShop he is noted as "unsubscribed" then his status will be changed to "unsubscribed".
For users whose e-mail address does not already exist in your MailChimp list:
Users who have subscribed via the PrestaShop native newsletter block, but who have not created a customer account, will receive the status "subscribed", or "unsubscribed" if, after having signed up, they have finally unsubscribed.
As far as your customers are concerned, Mailchimp lets you decide whether you want to subscribe them by default, or whether you prefer to subscribe them only if they have really opted for it.
In the "Users list synching" tab of the module "Users list sync & newsletter forms" section, in the "Configuration of your customers newsletter subscription" part, you actually have the choice between:
- Subscribe only customers who opted in
- Subscribe by default all customers
This option is for customers only, i.e the users who have a customer account (and whose e-mail address does not already appear in your Mailchimp list). For these customers, you have the possibility to force or not their subscription to your newsletter.
The principle of this option is as follows:
- If you select "Subscribe by default all customers" then all customers you are going to export and who are not already in your Mailchimp list will be considered as subscribed to the newsletter, even if they have never chosen to sign up (they will of course always have the possibility to unsubscribe afterwards).
- If you select "Subscribe only customers who opted in" then only customers who have chosen to subscribe to your newsletter will receive it.
But, for the exported customers who were already in your MailChimp lists, their opt-in status will remain unchanged. Likewise if they had chosen to unsubscribe, their choice will be respected. No status updates will be made for these customers.
To read the MailChimp documentation (in english) about opt-in status of customers click here.
Please note that this option only relates to the newsletter subscription (and therefore only to purely promotional emails) and not to the transactional emails receiving. No matter what you select for this option, ALL of your customers will receive transactional emails (e-commerce notifications, abandoned carts, product recommendation and other e-commerce automation advanced options), since MailChimp doesn't require opt-in for this type of emails.
Indeed, depending on your business area and as you're responsible for protecting your customer personal data, you must ensure that by default subscribing all your customers to the newsletter is not against the law. You also must inform them clearly. In general, make sure you comply with the General Data Protection Regulation. We accept no responsibility for your company's possible non-compliance with the GDPR.
Other FAQs in this category
- How to synchronize my users e-mail addresses?
- How to set a sign-up MailChimp form?
- How to configure the language of subscribers, who don't have a customer account, for the first synchronization?
- Where to find my API key?
- How do the e-commerce data manual synchronizations work?
- How to configure the e-commerce feature?
- How to keep using my newsletter block module?
- How to enable double opt-in for my new subscribers?
- Do I have to activate the GDPR fields option?
- How to choose/create a users list?
- Which synching mode to use?
- How to configure discount vouchers?