How to test my theme rich snippets markup?
How to know if my theme includes structured data (rich snippets)?
To know if your theme contains rich snippets markup (also called "structured data markup"), proceed as follows:
Right click on one of your product pages and select "View source code":
Then, in the source code, look after "itemprop" string :
If you find some of these strings, it's that your theme integrates rich snippets (data are structured). However, this doesn't mean the rich snippets code is in compliance with Google's requirements. And, for Google to correctly detect the data and display it in its search results, it is essential that the rich snippets meet Google's requirements. To check the compliance of your theme's structured data with Google's requirements, read the following section.
How to test my theme rich snippets compliance with Google's requirements?
Google provides a tool to test the structured data markup compliance on a web page. Go to this page to get this tool and test your markup.
Copy the URL of one of your product pages that includes rich snippets (see the previous section to test if this page contains the markup) and paste it in the "URL" tab:
Choose the robot type that will crawl your page for this test: select "Googlebot smartphone" if you have activated the Mobile-First indexing (or if you plan to do it), otherwise choose "Googlebot desktop" (click here to know more). Finally, click on "Test URL":
Here is the example of a correctly marked up page:
No error has been detected so the theme manages structured data markup correctly. Your product data will be able to be correctly retrieved in the product results of the search engine. However, please note that even if your rich snippets are fully compliant and do not generate any errors in the structured data test tool, ONLY Google decides whether or not to display rich snippets in the natural results of its search engine... In fact, Google reserves the right not to display your rich snippets if they do not bring a high quality search experience for all the users. To know more, visit our FAQ on this topic.
Here is an example of a product page where the data markup was incorrectly done:
If you get this type of message, it means that Google has detected errors (which are listed in red below the message). The errors must be corrected because they are blocking the indexing and the appearance of the rich snippets in the search results.
Whether the test result is positive or negative, you may also have warnings. Warnings do not block data eligibility for rich snippets, but should be kept to a minimum. Indeed, the better your markup is, the more likely your product pages will be well indexed and your structured data will be displayed in search results.
To find out what to do if Google displays errors and/or warnings about the compliance of your theme's data markup, click here.
To visit the Google official page on structured data testing, click here.
Other FAQs in this category
- Do I have to activate the "Include product rich snippets code" option?
- How to configure the delay of the rating request sending?
- How do I display the reviews list in the product description tabs?
- How to solve the error concerning the e-mail language folders?
- How to test the sending of product rating request e-mails?
- How to edit the rating request e-mails sent to customers?
- What to do if I get errors or warnings on my theme rich snippets?
- Why only registered customers can post a review ?
- How to import my reviews from another review system?
- What should I do if I can't post a review or if I have problems displaying the rating stars?
- Why are the stars in the rating pop-up not displayed?
- Why doesn't my rating request pop-up appear?
- How to mark up the rating stars of list pages?
- What to do if I get a blank page when I use the moderation tool?
- Why are my rich snippets not appearing in Google results?
- How do I solve my review star rendering issue?
- How do I display the review stars in the product list?
- Under PS 126.96.36.199, how to add a review through my back-office?
- How do I change CSS & templates files in order to integrate my theme ?