How to import my products into a Facebook catalog?
To create ads in different languages or for different currencies, you first have to create your own catalogs (one catalog per different "Country/Language/Currency" group) in the Facebook Business Manager. Click here to know how to do.
Then, you have to import the product data that match with each different "Country/Language/Currency" group in the matching created catalog.
To import your products, follow the procedure:
- Click here to go to the Commerce Manager of Facebook and connect to your Business Manager account:
- In the "Catalogs" part, click on the name of the first catalog in which you want to import your products (you will have to repeat the same steps for all your feeds, since each feed has to be imported in a different catalog):
- In the menu on the left, click on the "Items" tab in the "Catalog" section:
- Click on the blue button "Add items" at the top right and select "Add Multiple Items" :
- You are then asked how you want to add items. Select "Data Feed" and click on "Next":
- Select "Yes" for the question "Is your spreadsheet or file ready?" and click on "Next":
- Click on the tab "Use a URL":
- In the URL field, depending on the method you have chosen for Facebook product data recovery (see our corresponding FAQ), copy either the on the fly output URL (typically if your catalog contains less than 5000 products), or the URL of the XML file regularly updated by a CRON task (typically if your catalog contains more than 5000 products), and then click on "Next":
- On the fly data recovery method (catalog < 5000 products):
- OR XML data file recovery method (catalog > 5000 products):
- Schedule now the automatic updates of your feed. Depending on the frequency of the modifications of your products on your shop, select a frequency (hourly, daily or weekly) and a time to update the feed. If you only change your product information on your shop very rarely, there is no need to schedule a Facebook feed update every hour.
Note that if you select a frequency "Hourly" you can specify that this update is not done every hour, but every 2 hours for example (see drop-down menu "Repeat"):
Important note: if you have created a CRON task to update an XML file that will be retrieved by Facebook, be careful to set this CRON task so that it updates the XML file before Facebook retrieves it. Also try to space the schedules of both tasks because depending on the size of your catalog, updating the XML file may take more or less time. For example, if you have set your CRON task so that the XML file is updated every day at 3:00 am, set the file recovery by Facebook at 6:00 am. Also, be careful that the time zone selected is the same for the CRON task and for Facebook recovery.
Click on "Next".
- Give a name to your feed and save. If you manage several "Country/Language/Currency" feeds, we recommend that you mention into the feed name, the country, language and currency that correspond to the data you are going to import. For example: US en USD:
- Select the corresponding currency, save and click on "Next":
- Finally, click on "Upload":
- When import is done, click on the "Items" sub-tab to see the imported products:
You will also find your products in the "Items" tab of the "Catalog" section of the menu on the left (if they are not yet present, remember to reload the page):
Repeat the previous steps for all your product catalogs (as a reminder, a catalog corresponds to a feed, i. e. a single group "Country/Language/Currency").
If for any reason you want to import your products without waiting for the next automatic update, you can do so by going to the "Data Sources" tab, clicking on the name of your feed and going to the "Settings" sub-tab. Then click on "Request Update Now" in the "Schedules" section:
Finally, don't forget that to track the activity of your customers and vistors on your shop and be able to set dynamic remarketing ads, you have to install a Facebook pixel on your shop. To know how to create and install it, click here. To test the pixel working, click here.
Other FAQs in this category
- How to configure priority events for iOS14?
- Facebook Starter Guide
- How to create a Facebook product catalog?
- How to create a dynamic remarketing campaign?
- How to create a Business Manager account?
- How to import my products into the "Shop" section of my Facebook Page?
- What are the consequences of the release of iOS14 on the module's Facebook Pixel?
- How to display discount percentages on product ads?
- How to customize my Facebook Shop?
- How to add a Shop on my Facebook Page and my Instagram business account?
- How to create a Facebook Page?