What is the product GTIN code for?
The GTIN code of a product is its "Global Trade Item Number". With the supplier reference (MPN code) and the brand, the GTIN code takes part of "unique product identifiers". To read the Google official documentation about unique product identifiers click here.
The GTIN code helps Google to uniquely identifies your product. With it, Google can make your products easier for users to find. Products submitted without any unique product identifiers are difficult to classify and may not be able to take advantage of all Google Shopping features.
Do I have to provide GTIN codes for my products imperatively?
GTIN code must be provided for all products that are in new condition and whose GTIN code has already been assigned by the manufacturer. This means that if your products have a GTIN code but you don't provide it, your products may strongly be refused.
If you have some doubts and you want to check whether in your area you must provide GTIN codes click here.
In PrestaShop, GTIN code is represented either by the EAN13/JAN code (for European or Japanese products) or by the UPC code (for US products).
When a GTIN code has been assigned, you can find it on your product's packaging or book cover, under the barcode. If you can't find the GTIN, you can always contact the product's manufacturer to ask for it. For more tips to find a GTIN code click here.
Be careful: your code must be made up of 13 characters (if it's an EAN-13 code), 8 characters (if it's a JAN code) or 12 characters (if it's an UPC code). If the characters number is different from these three last values, and if the GTIN code is mandatory for your area, Google may block your account because the GTIN will not be recognized.
Note that if they are required in your area but you have not retreived all of them from your manufacturer yet, you can start sending to Google Shopping only the items for which you have the code. To know how to do it, go to the third part of this FAQ.
However, some products, by their nature, can't have GTIN code (e.g handmade goods, antique products, etc...). Do not submit GTIN code for a product that doesn't have one. If, for example, you sell handmade goods, they don't have GTIN codes. Then you don't need to submit ones.
To view the (non-exhaustive) list of products that may not have GTIN code click here and go to the "Products without a GTIN" part.
If you don't provide GTIN code and that this is not mandatory by the nature of your products, Google will send you a warning message about "unique product identifiers" but this will not block the diffusion of your products on Google Shopping, provided that:
- you make sure the GTIN codes aren't mandatory for your area
- you provide, instead of GTIN codes, the supplier references (MPN) AND the product brands
Please note that if you only have the brand of your products, our module will send, in addition to the brand, an "identifier_exists=false" tag in order to tell Google that your products only have brand and to make their identification easier. However you must ensure you that, by their nature, you can't retreive your product supplier references (MPN codes). Indeed, otherwise, Google may refuse your products.
Similarly, if you only have supplier references (MPN codes), the module will send, in addition to MPN codes, the "identifier_exists=false" tag to make your products easier to review.
To know more about the "identifier_exists" tag and its use, click here.
What to do if my products have combinations?
It all depends of the export method choosen for product combinations.
- If you want to export each product combination as a product in its own right (i.e if a product has 5 combinations, 5 products will be exported), you have to enter a GTIN code for each combination:
Example for a PrestaShop 1.6 version:
- If you want to export all combinations of a product in a single product (i.e if a product has 5 combinations, only 1 product will be exported), it's enough that you enter a GTIN code in the main GTIN field of the product file:
Example of a PrestaShop 1.6 version:
If you filled GTIN code for each product combination and you don't enter anything in main GTIN fields, if you want to export all combinations of a product in a single product (i.e 5 combinations=1 product) the module will not know which GTIN code to take. In this case, you have to fill out the main GTIN field of each product with its default combination GTIN code.
How to only export products that have a GTIN code?
If GTIN codes are mandatory in your area, but you have not retreived all of them yet, you can start sending to Google Shopping the items that already have code. Indeed, the module allows you to temporarily decide not to export products that don't have GTIN code, until you are able to get all your product codes.
- Go to the module "Product exclusion rules" tab of the "Feed management" section
- Select "YES" for the "Do you want to NOT export products without EAN13/JAN or UPC ?" option
By selecting "YES", only products with GTIN code will be exported.
Other FAQs in this category
- How to tag products reserved for adults?
- Do I have to indicate the gender for which my products are made?
- What is the point of providing a brand for my products?
- What is the product supplier reference (MPN code) for?
- Do I need to indicate the size system used for my products?
- What is the use of prefixing product IDs?
- What are the guidelines for quality product titles?
- What is the Google "product type" attribute?
- What are the price guidelines to follow?
- Do I have to provide information about my product patterns?
- How to indicate the availability of my products on Google Shopping?
- How to send quality images to Google Shopping?
- Is it necessary to indicate an age group for using my products?
- Do I have to include product sizes in the feed?
- Do I have to provide product colors in the feed?
- How to indicate a package weight unit that complies with Google's requirements?
- Do I need to indicate the size type of my products?
- What are the Google's requirements for product description?
- What is the product condition?
- Do I have to provide information about my product material?