What is the use of prefixing product IDs?
In your module "Basic settings" tab, you have the ability to indicate a prefix for the product IDs:
This prefix is not obligatory but it must be useful and here is why:
If you complete this prefix, in your data feed XML file, the module will build for each of your products a unique identifier (ID):
For example: MSEN1v1
This ID is like the "fingerprint" of your product and it allows the product to be uniquely identified.
It's made up of a prefix, a country code (for example EN for England), a numeral code (1, 2, 3, 4, etc...) that matches the product ID in your PrestaShop back office and, if you chose to export each product combination as a single product, you will also have a code that indicates the combination.
To make this ID, the module will automatically fetch the country code, the numeral code and the combination code. But you also have the ability to indicate a prefix, that could be for example your shop name's initials and that will be the same for all your products. This will provide an unique way to identify your products that will be exported with our module in your Google Merchant Center account. This may be very useful for tracking the origin of the products, especially if you manage several different shops : by including a different prefix for each shop you will know from which shop a product comes from. This gives you an additional filter option.
The name you choose for the prefix isn't important but we advise you to put your shop's name's initials. For example, if your shop's name is "Mary's shop", you can choose to write "MS". 2 or 3 characters are enough.
Note: from the Google Merchant Center 4.7.16 version and the 1.7.0 of its PRO version, you can also decide to have product "simple" IDs, i.e only made up of the numeral code corresponding to the product ID in your PrestaShop back office. You just have to select "YES" for the "Simple product ID?" option:
Other FAQs in this category
- How to tag products reserved for adults?
- Do I need to indicate the size system used for my products?
- What is the point of providing a brand for my products?
- Do I have to indicate the gender for which my products are made?
- What is the product condition?
- What are the Google's requirements for product description?
- What is the product supplier reference (MPN code) for?
- Do I have to provide product colors in the feed?
- Do I have to include product sizes in the feed?
- Is it necessary to indicate an age group for using my products?
- Do I have to provide information about my product material?
- How to send quality images to Google Shopping?
- Do I have to provide information about my product patterns?
- What are the price guidelines to follow?
- What are the guidelines for quality product titles?
- What is the Google "product type" attribute?
- How to indicate the availability of my products on Google Shopping?
- How to indicate a package weight unit that complies with Google's requirements?
- Do I need to indicate the size type of my products?
- What is the product GTIN code for?