What is the Google "product type" attribute?
The Google "product type" attribute is optional but useful because it allows you to inform Google of your own product categorization system. Indeed, it corresponds to the product default category path. Unlike the "google product category" attribute (see our FAQ on this topic) for which the values are predefined by Google, the values of the "product type" attribute match with your own category's titles. The values you submit can be used to organize the bidding and reporting in your AdWords Shopping campaign.
To know more about Google's official guidelines on this attribute, click here.
To fill in this attribute, our module uses the PrestaShop native function "breadcrump", which fetches the full category path (that is to say the path of each product you want to export). For example : Electronics > DVD players > BluRay.
In most cases, the product path will correctly be fetched. However, if you have, for example, products which the path is limited to the "Home" default category of your shop, the PrestaShop "breadcrumb" function will return an empty value. But Google requires a not empty value for the "product_type" tag. So, it's why we have set up a "replacement" value that will be entered in the "product_type" tag if the "breadcrump" function wouldn't work.
In the "What type of products are you selling?" field, please indicate a name for this replacement value. You can simply enter "home" or "home products" or indicate for example the kind of products you are selling ("Electronic" if you sell electronic equipment, "Shoes" if you sell shoes, etc...). Indeed, you can enter what you want. This name will allow you to easily find, in your Google AdWords account, the products for which the "breadcrump" function didn't work : they will be sorted in a category which the title will be this replacement value.
Make sure to give a replacement value for every language by clicking on the drop-down menu next to the field.
Other FAQs in this category
- How to tag products reserved for adults?
- Do I need to indicate the size system used for my products?
- What is the point of providing a brand for my products?
- Do I have to indicate the gender for which my products are made?
- What is the use of prefixing product IDs?
- What is the product condition?
- What are the Google's requirements for product description?
- What is the product supplier reference (MPN code) for?
- Do I have to provide product colors in the feed?
- Do I have to include product sizes in the feed?
- How to send quality images to Google Shopping?
- Is it necessary to indicate an age group for using my products?
- Do I have to provide information about my product material?
- Do I have to provide information about my product patterns?
- What are the price guidelines to follow?
- What are the guidelines for quality product titles?
- How to indicate the availability of my products on Google Shopping?
- How to indicate a package weight unit that complies with Google's requirements?
- Do I need to indicate the size type of my products?
- What is the product GTIN code for?